Sunday, July 30, 2006

Where I started

I was in DC during the Spring for work and decided to visit the Dada exhibit at the National Gallery. I was shaken by the world the Dadaists were experiencing, the ideas that drove them, and the similarities to our present circumstances. Their reaction to the absurdity and tragedy of the 1910s, WWI and the negative aspects of technology made me feel like I was in a time warp. Was 2006 really just a new version of 1919?

The exhibit was so disturbing that I had the first panic attack of my life -- I had to get out of there. At the same time I was drawn to the art, the artists and the story. I went back twice more and I'll go see it at the MOMA in NY in August. For more info on the Dada exhibit go here.



George Grosz "Republican Automatons"

No comments: